Saying goodbye to summer just got a little easier! As we get back to the grind, the school runs and the 9 – 5, Wing Yip, the UK’s largest Oriental Grocer, has created a selection of recipes that will boost your energy and warm your spirits this autumn.
There’s an easy way to ‘Ramen’ calm this autumn (get it?!). Why not try this easy-to-make, Health Boosting Ramen Recipe? From turmeric to ginger this dish is packed full of goodness and will help you feel warm and fuzzy even if the weather outside makes you feel the opposite!
400ml fresh vegetable or chicken stock
40g fresh ginger, peeled and thickly sliced
¼ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp water
½ tsp light soy sauce
40g fresh tofu, cut into two thick slices
1tsp vegetable oil
50g carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
40g cabbage or Chinese leaf
200g fresh ramen noodles
1 ramen egg (see recipe for Ajitsuke Tamago (Ramen Eggs))
2 tbsp pickled ginger slices
1 spring onion, thinly sliced
½ nori sheet, cut into two
- Put the stock and ginger in a large saucepan and place over a medium heat. Let the stock gently simmer with the ginger for 10 minutes and then discard the ginger slices.
- Mix together the turmeric, water and soy sauce and then add the tofu. Mix well so that the tofu is well coated.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over a high heat and then pan fry the tofu until golden and crispy, turning every 1-2 minutes to ensure the tofu is evenly browned. Keep to the side until ready to serve.
- Cook the carrot in the stock for 1-2 minutes or until just starting to soften. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep to the side until ready to serve. Repeat with the cabbage or Chinese leaf.
- Cook the ramen noodles in the stock according to the instructions on the packet. Once cooked, divide the noodles and the stock between two large bowls.
- To each bowl add one slice of tofu, half of the carrot and cabbage, half a ramen egg, 1 tbsp pickled ginger slices, half of the spring onion and one small piece of the nori sheet.
- Serve immediately.